I’m not the campaigning sort. Most campaigns feel fake to me – designed more to direct publicity towards the campaigner than to actually achieve anything. People who really want to change something quietly go out and do it. The ones who cry themselves hoarse are not the ones who’re really making a difference. That’s what I believe.
So I’m not the campaigning sort myself. The only time I did it, it still felt fake. But – never say never again, they say. So if I were to ever take up arms for or against anything, it would most likely be one of these things (in increasing order of likelihood):
5. Corruption – Particularly, corruption in those fields that deal with aiding underprivileged people. Charitable organizations, relief work, rural schools, hospitals and the like, the public distribution system… anybody who claims to be helping other people and is illegally getting rich in the process is on my hate list.
4. Waste – Indifference to scarce resources is criminal. Why leave a tap running when you could just as easily turn it off? Why take more than you can eat and then wash it down the drain? Why turn the pump on and go away and let pure drinking water fall over the side of the building and run into the gutter?
3. Fairness creams – The belief that fair skinned people are somehow better than dark skinned people and that fairness is, therefore, something to aspire or pray for… it’s just a perverted form of racism!
2. Cruelty to animals – From pelting stones at street dogs to shark fin soup. I’m not promoting vegetarianism, but can we at least be humane to the animals we tolerate, love, domesticate, or massacre?
1. Sexual assault – It still shocks me that so many kinds of sexual assaults are committed on (mostly) women and children and are either tolerated, or ignored. Why, for instance, should marital rape not be considered rape?
What are the top five things that you would like to change, if you could?