Reprehensible… But SO Worth It!

This was a three-day weekend for all four of us. Amit, having recently lost his job, was more-or-less on paid vacation (he hasn’t been given notice yet, just told that he doesn’t have a role anymore). The kids and I had a holiday on Friday for Moharram. Great.

But I had an assignment to write. I’d worked on it only last weekend on Saturday, so it wasn’t in great shape yet. I was hoping to get it 90% completed this weekend, so that I could do the remaining 10% next week – mainly proofing it and checking references – and send it off before Christmas Eve.

Amit had his own “stuff” to do and could absolutely not be relied upon to keep the kids busy the whole day. Besides, he said he would go to office for an hour or two in the morning, anyway.

So, we decided to pack the kids off to daycare like we do on most school holidays.

Amit went for tennis in the morning and got back at 8.30, by which time the kids were breakfasted, dressed, and ready to roll. Then, to my immense irritation, he spent two whole hours dawdling around at home and it was 11 before I managed to chase the three of them out of the front door and get down to work.

By noon, Amit was back! He wasn’t going to go to office and he wasn’t going to do “stuff”. As it turned out, he took a nap before lunch, had ordered-in chicken biryani for lunch with me, kept out of my way for an hour after lunch, and then we strolled out for a cup of coffee at the local Coffee Day. At 4.30 he left to pick up the kids from daycare.

For practically the first time ever, we spent an afternoon together, had lunch at home together, had coffee in a cafe together, talked without a thousand interruptions from the kids… and all on a weekday!

I don’t know what kind of a mother I am for sending my (much longed-for) babies off to daycare just so I can spend an afternoon at home with their father… or what kind of parents we both are for sending the kids to daycare when we both are home all day… but they got to play/eat/sleep with their friends (and attend dance class), so they were happy; Amit got to laze around the house all day and take two round trips by bus, so he was happy; and I got a bit of my assignment written, so I was happy. What could be better than that?

Advertisements

9 Responses to Reprehensible… But SO Worth It!

  1. Vidya Sury says:

    Absolutely worth it!

  2. supriya says:

    Hmmm…daycare is an absolute boon. Wish I could be convinced to try it.

  3. Doug Helms says:

    Sometimes it’s necessary to just lay back with your spouse and enjoy some quiet time together.

  4. poupee97 says:

    Supriya: You might, at some point. You know I had my doubts too… but this place is really nice and they do very little of the things I really don’t like (e.g. TV, chocolate, biscuits etc). If I tell them “DON”T give my kids biscuits!” they don’t. And, of course, the kids love it. Beyond a point, kids need to be with other kids more than they need to be with their parents.

  5. poupee97 says:

    Doug: Absolutely! And I so hope to do more of it next week!

    How are you?

  6. Doug H says:

    I’m well Mika, thank you. During the period between Christmas and New Years Day I’m being visited by the ghost of Christmas Past in the form of a girl I haven’t seen in about 40 years. At that time she was my best friends girl, but she hunted me down and we get along very well-though seperated by 1,000 miles -and for the first time in years I won’t be spending this major Holiday alone. So, as the saying goes, it’s all good.

  7. poupee97 says:

    Doug: That sounds like fun! Merry Christmas and happy holiday season to you!

  8. Doug H says:

    Thanks Mika, and the same to you and yours (especially if Christmas is celebrated in India, but even if it’s not) !

  9. poupee97 says:

    Doug: Oh, it most certainly is! We even have a small Christmas tree in our living room this year. And the kids had a Christmas party in school – every class has its own tree and lots of decorations and all the kids were in party clothes.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: